At Smiles Orthodontics, Dr. Silvia Menendez
uses Self Ligating Ceramic brackets, which are brackets made of ceramic or porcelain that blend in seamlessly with your teeth — an excellent option for older teenagers or adults who have cosmetic concerns and would prefer a more discreet look. In fact, ceramic brackets can be color-matched to your teeth, making them less visible.
As with metal braces, ceramic braces use metal wires that are threaded through the brackets and apply a gentle steady force that shifts the teeth in the desired direction. Traditional braces are made of three main components: the brackets, which are attached to your teeth with adhesive; the archwire, which helps the teeth move into place; and the ligatures, which are rubber bands that anchor the archwire. Self-ligating ceramic brackets don’t require rubber bands, as the section that holds the wire is built directly into the bracket. Some other advantages of self-ligating ceramic braces are that they:
- Are easier to clean because there are fewer places where food can get stuck.
- Don’t require long adjustment appointments since the brackets are spring-loaded.
- Are less uncomfortable during adjustments.
- Minimize the friction and forces required to straighten teeth.
- Have smoother edges than traditional braces, which increases comfort.
If you’re deciding whether to get metal brackets or ceramic brackets to get your ideal smile, know that at the end of the day, the choice comes down to appearance: do you not mind if your braces appear more prominent, or would you rather they be more subtle? Either way, you’ll get that dazzling, lasting smile you’ve always wanted.